Need to get started today? (336) 378-1122

(336) 378-1122

Need to Get Started Today?

Guilford County Medicaid Application

Guilford County Medicaid applications for residents living here are filed with Guilford County Social Services. The department is Adult Services and Programs and there are 2 separate offices, one in Greensboro and the other in High Point.

Address for Guilford County Medicaid Applications

The offices for the Guilford County Social Services where you can file a Medicaid application are located at these addresses:

Greensboro Office:
1201 Maple Street, Greensboro NC 27405 phone: 336-641-3000

High Point Office:
325 East Russell Avenue, High Point NC 27260 phone: 336-641-3000

Office hours are 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday. The website is located at

What to expect at the Guilford County Medicaid Office

These offices handle many other programs besides North Carolina Medicaid benefits for nursing home care. When you arrive, you will need to register and then wait to talk with a caseworker. Sometimes the wait can be quite long, other times you can talk with a worker quickly.

Before you decide to apply for Medicaid for nursing home or assisted living, the best thing you can do is to learn your rights and options. This site, North Carolina Elder and Estate Planning, has lots of helpful articles and tools that will help you understand the basics. That way, you can learn key concepts and important questions to ask and you’ll feel better about the process.

The Medicaid system can be daunting. The Medicaid rules are complex and confusing, especially for families who have a home and savings or other investments. Some people think that filing for Medicaid is as simple as filling out a form. And it can be that simple, for someone who has no assets. However, here is often what happens, depending on the situation:

1. When you’re applying for your spouse who is in the nursing home. Often families are told that they need to spend half or more of their assets before the ill-spouse can qualify for care. And based on the Medicaid rules, that is one possible answer. But before you accept that advice, stop and ask yourself this one question. Would you ask the IRS to prepare your tax return? Certainly the IRS knows the rules and all of the hidden tax deductions, but it’s not their job to tell you about them. Just like the IRS, it’s not the Medicaid office’s job to tell you how to protect your home and your savings. The truth is, that for most married couples who get help from the right elderlaw firm, they can protect the house, nearly all of the savings, and all of the health spouse’s income. That is a whole lot better than spending half or more of the retirement savings. Fortunately, if you learn and follow the Medicaid rules as written, it is honest, ethical and legal to make sure that the health spouse (the spouse at home) avoids spousal impoverishment.

2. When you’re applying for a parent who is widowed, divorced or otherwise single. When you apply, expect to be told: Spend all of the assets down to $2,000 and then come back and apply later. You also likely will be told that the house is a noncountable asset if there is an intent to return home. If you listen to this advice, your parent will lose his or her entire retirement nest egg and be broke in the nursing home. That’s because after a Medicaid applicant spends down to $2,000 of countable assets and qualifies for Medicaid, at that point all of their monthly income (except for $30 per month) goes to the nursing home. That’s right, your parent will have less than $2,000 in the bank and only $30 a month to live on. That’s less than a dollar a day! It won’t even cover a monthly hair appointment. Here’s what you need to know: if your parent is single with a home and some assets to preserve, work with the right elderlaw firm. By strategies allowed under the Medicaid rules you will likely be able to save over half of the retirement assets, plus the home place. That’s a whole lot better than finding yourself out of money and out of options at one of life’s most frail and vulnerable times, isn’t it.

After you’ve explored this site and feel like you’ve got a good handle on what your questions are, by talking with an experienced and board certified elderlaw attorney you can decide whether you want to handle the application yourself.  Ask your elderlaw attorney whether they handle these types of applications regularly. You can find elderlaw firms that have on staff a former DSS caseworker who knows the ins and outs of the system. With the right elderlaw firm, you can expect the application to be approved without the delay and denial that so many people experience due to mistakes made on the application.

What you don’t know about Medicaid could cost your family nearly everything. That’s why it’s so important to get prepared and then to get the right help.

Information to bring with you when applying for Medicaid in Guilford County

The Guilford County Medicaid Office asks that if you’re applying for Medicaid, to bring with you the items listed below when you go to the Social Services office office to apply. If you do not have some or all of these items, you can still apply and the caseworker will tell you what additional information is still needed. However, you can expect a delay between when you apply and getting back a notice about additional information that you need to locate and return to continue the application.

  • Certified birth certificates or other proof of citizenship/alien status for each individual applying for Medicaid
  • Identity documents for each individual applying for Medicaid
  • Social security cards, social security numbers, or proof that you have made an application for a number from the Social Security Office, for each individual applying for Medicaid
  • A copy of all pay stubs for last month, and Social Security/Pension income
  • Copies of all medical or life insurance policies
  • A list of all cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. you or anyone in your household own, including the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) for each item
  • Most recent bank statements
  • A list of all real property you own
  • Current financial statements/award letters from other sources of income, such as social security, retirement benefits, pensions, veteran benefits, and child support.

Stay up to date with elder law news

Sign up to receive The Elderlaw Firm Newsletter