How to close out accounts, notify key authorities, access death benefits, and begin the probate or trust administration process after the loss of a loved one.
The weeks and months following the death of a loved one can be overwhelming. With so much to do legally and financially, you may be wondering where to even start and what exactly is involved in closing out a loved one’s estate.
This free guide written by attorney Dennis Toman is designed to walk you step-by-step through the process, starting with the seven steps you should take immediately after the loss of a loved one.
Whether you have been named as an executor, a trustee, or you are simply helping someone who is, this easy-to-understand guide will help you discover
- Your duties as an executor or trustee, and how to carry them out in a way that involves the least amount of legal/court fees, headaches, and delays for the estate.
- The most important people and institutions to notify immediately after the loss of your loved one and the documentation you’ll need to do it.
- How to deal with creditors and outstanding debt (hint: it doesn’t just disappear after you loved one’s death)
- How to avoid personal liability from heirs or beneficiaries due to unintentional mistakes or oversights on your part during the administration process.
- What is probate, how much does it cost, how do you file, and which assets are subject to this lengthy and costly court process.
- How to locate and apply for additional benefits that your loved one may be entitled to for burial and related expenses.
- Why you as a trustee may still wind up in probate court…and what to do about it.
Don’t wait to learn how to close out your loved one’s estate in the most cost-effective and easiest way possible. Download our free guide now to learn the seven steps to take immediately after loss.