Greensboro Estate Planning and Elder Law Center



Welcome to the Greensboro Estate Planning and Elder Law Center, here at North Carolina Estate and Elder Planning. In this part of the website, we’ve gathered information you may need when dealing with estate planning or probate in Guilford County, North Carolina. You can spend time in this Greensboro Center, and then plan to visit the rest of NC Estate and Elder Planning.  The focus on this site is helping seniors and those who love them, in and around Greensboro, for estate planning and elder care planning for Medicaid and other benefits.

This Greensboro Center includes helpful articles for Greensboro estate planning and for surrounding areas, with court information and information about resources you may need to connect with.

The North Carolina Estate and Elder Planning site has information on Basics of Estate Planning, Living Trusts, Medicaid Planning and Estate Administration. You’ll find tools, calculators, articles, videos, FAQs and other helpful materials to learn about important concepts and steps for planning for the second half of life. And if you have a spouse or parent in a nursing home and need help paying for nursing home care, you’ll find lots of information about Medicaid applications and Medicaid eligibility.

Government Resources in Greensboro, NC

This can be your one-stop shop as you look for information for taxes, or the Clerk of Court for estate administration or guardianship actions in Greensboro and Guilford County.

Tax Information

Guilford County Tax Department

The Tax Department has two offices in Guilford County. The Greensboro office is located in the Guilford County Independence Center at 400 West Market Street. The High Point office is located at 325 East Russell Avenue. The phone number for the Greensboro tax office is (336) 641-3362. The phone number for High Point is (336) 641-7911. The hours are 8am to 5pm Monday-Friday.

The Guilford County Collector’s office collects taxes for Guilford County, as well as collecting taxes for these communities: Greensboro, Jamestown, Oak Ridge, Pleasant Garden, Sedalia, Summerfield and Whitsett, and parts of Archdale, Burlington, Kernersville and High Point (for the parts of those cities that are located in Guilford County).

Statements for real estate and personal taxes are prepared and mailed in July of each year, covering that current year starting January 1. The tax bills may be paid on or before August 31 to receive a 1/2% discount. Taxes must be paid on or before January 5th to avoid interest and collection proceedings.

Guilford County Clerk of Court Information

The Guilford County Clerk of Court has responsibility for incompetency proceedings, as well as guardianship administration and probate of decedent’s estates.

There are two courthouses in Guilford County. The Greensboro courthouse is the main courthouse and is located at 201 South Eugene Street, Greensboro, NC 27401 phone: (336) 412-7300.  The alternate courthouse is in High Point, at 505 East Green Drive, High Point, NC 27262, phone: (336) 822-6700.

Estates Division

The phone number for the Estates Division is (336) 412-7575. This office is located in Greensboro. It is the office you will need to contact for administration of an estate after a person dies. It also oversees administration of guardianship estates, after someone has been determined to be incompetent.

The phone number for Special Proceedings also is (336) 412-7575. Incompetency actions in Guilford County are started through Special Proceedings.

Area Agency on Aging

The Area Agency on Aging is administered through the Piedmont Triad Regional Council, with its main office in Kernersville, NC. A variety of senior assistance programs are run under this Agency, including home delivered meals, transportation, in home aide services, family caregiver support, and adult day care and adult day health among others.

If your loved one is in a nursing home or assisted living, or if you are looking for facilities, the Long-Term Care Program of the AAA can be helpful. The website has lists of long-term care facilities in the area. In addition, the Regional Long-Term Care Ombudsman can be contacted at (336) 904-0300. The Ombudsman can advocate for you and investigate concerns about care in assisted living and nursing homes in Greensboro and surrounding areas. The Ombudsman can assist with nursing homes and assisted living located in these counties:

  • Alamance County
  • Caswell County
  • Davidson County
  • Davie County
  • Forsyth County
  • Guilford County
  • Montgomery County
  • Randolph County
  • Rockingham County
  • Stokes County
  • Surry County
  • Yadkin County

Senior Resources of Guilford

Senior Resources of Guilford serves seniors in Guilford County. It has a Pathways & Protocols website available that lists a variety of resources and services for older adults in Guilford County. It is available online at

Related Greensboro Estate Planning and Elder Law Information

Greensboro Medicaid application

Guilford County Medicaid application

Greensboro estate planning

Older living trusts need to be reviewed and possibly revised

1 Comment

Skip to content